Tuesday 25 October 2016

The Difference Between Love and Obsession

I have learnt that when we need someone in order to exist and our body aches when that person is not around, it is not love, it is obsession. It is about us thinking a particular person has the power to rescue us. And we want to be rescued because we don’t trust our own ability to take care of and provide ourselves with a rich life.


Loving someone means we don’t need them but instead we want to share our lives with them, and most importantly we want to support them on their life’ journey. That means giving them the foundation to let them go and be whatever is going to allow them to grow as people and to fully experience life. There is a huge difference from “you have to stay with me no matter what” or “you can’t do this to me” to “I’m here loving you; go try out life”.

In obsessive relationships it is all about us not the other person. And in a strange way, even though these relationships are all about us, we have no power. By needing someone we give our power away and sometimes the recipients can be quite cruel; a game that gets set up: I give you my life and you can abuse it because the truth is I’m needy and you resent me for that.
Love happens easily and naturally. No games. Two people meet and they are ready to journey together. No imprisonments or psychologically empty deals. It is simply: I love you and I want the best for you. You love me and you want the best for me. That’s real love.

So I believe if we truly want to experience a deep and loving relationship we need to start by loving ourselves. That is the only way we’ll be able to meet someone and share love and life without being needy or always being scared if the other person leaves our world will crumble. Because that is not love; that is obsession.



No comments:

Post a Comment