Tuesday 1 November 2016

Make the change now when the window is still open

“Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there’s still time to change the road you’re on.”
We all have choices in our lives. In business, in relationships, with our health, and with our money. We do the best we can with the information we have in front of us. We try new things. Set off in new directions. Expand our comfort zone.
Some times it works great. Other times, not so much.

Every day we are faced with choices. Our future is determined by the actions we take today. As we take one small step forward, we gain information that allows us to assess and adjust the next step. Do this repeatedly, and we march closer and closer toward our goals. But what if we miscalculated? What if we took all these steps along the way and woke up down the road wondering where the heck we went wrong?

In my former corporate life, I did that a number of times. When I got to that moment where I fell flat on my face, I got up, dusted myself off, and kept moving forward. Why? Because there is always time to change the road you are on.
n our world of instant gratification, it’s sometimes hard to see that we can choose where we end up. We can set a long-term goal and take smaller actions to achieve it. And when we get there, we can decide if we want to stay on that path or go in another direction.

For me, taking the road less travelled and transitioning from corporate to entrepreneurship has had it’s own perils. Yes, there have been times where I have questioned my decision. More than one occasion where I felt so stuck I couldn’t move forward. But knowing that I can always change my course in the long run has brought comfort when fear arose.
We are all the drivers of our lives. We pilot the car. We stand on the accelerator or the brakes. We maneuver tight turns and speed down straight-aways. As long as our car is moving, we can make adjustments. We can take another path and find a fantastic new destination in the process.

The new path I’m headed down is showing me how to release the analytical side of me and embrace the emotional. Certainly not something I saw coming (or, for that matter, asked for). I choose to see this as an opportunity for growth and advancement. The scenic route. So, I’ve rolled down the windows, opened the sun roof, and turned off the highway and down the road less traveled.
Right now, I’m enjoying the journey. And I know there is still time to change the road I’m on.


No comments:

Post a Comment